Friday, October 4, 2013

Food Allergies

My heart breaks seeing him suffer. Our last doctor's visit he had lost a pound. They placed him on thyroid medicine and digestive enzymes.

With trial and error I have discovered he's highly allergic to eggs, cashews, almonds, coconut, olive oil, sunflower seeds, cows milk and maybe allergic to corn and bread. I have yet to find a solution or for everyone who believes in formula one that would work. I am still breastfeeding. I added flax oil into my diet to try to get some fat. We will see if that helps.

I did find a recipe to make my own formula which I would highly recommend to those who can't breastfeed. The key to breast feeding that I've learned is calories. If you want to diet, you will never produce enough milk. I am in search of fat and grease and calories because I am breastfeeding. Oddly though the weight still came off no matter how much I try to eat. You have to pack your diet with calories to maintain a milk supply. I think most women are fearful of eating extra food in fear for gaining weight. It's worth it in the end.

Milk, cheese, beef, cashews, almonds, eggs, coconut milk and fish oils were all items that I noticed if I ate would help boost my milk supply. Unfortunately baby is allergic to most of them.

I will never understand formula users. I won't pretend to either. It is a choice so I will refrain from passing judgement. While I think there are better options, it just requires more sacrifice on the moms part. I can't say I'm not jealous. Breastfeeding is hard work but to me it is worth trying to ensure that my child gets the best possible chance there is.

I don't believe not producing enough milk is a reason. There is a reason your body isn't producing its because it requires consistency, dedication, calories, fat and sleepless months and months. I am on a very very limited diet meaning less calories and less fat which means I pump more than the average working mom to get enough milk for my child. In other words I am tired and don't have much time to myself but again it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment