Monday, October 20, 2014

Extreme Allergies - Omit Apples

What do you do for a child with severe food allergies?

I am falling apart as a mother. This has been an ongoing battle for almost two years. I am blogging about it because I need a place to document everything but mostly to vent. It’s hard to chart in notebooks and shift through everything at doctor visits. I feel like my brain can’t hold much more. I also feel like they think I am making this up like I want my child to be sick or like I am not trying hard enough.

My child is allergic to everything. I say that and adults give me the flat mouthed stare and comment about they too are “gluten free”. Thank you for your sympathy, but I only wish we were gluten free. My child is not intolerant to gluten he has extreme food allergies.

My two year old is allergic to the top foods that others may understand:Wheat, Dairy (includes milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt), Coconut, Soy, Nuts (peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, macadamia, pine nuts), Seeds (sesame, pumpkin, flax) Corn, but is also allergic to Tomatoes, Pineapple, Strawberries, Raspberries, Cherries, Lemon, Lime, Oranges, Citric Acid, Sweet Potatoes, Beans (black beans, pinto beans, lentils), oregano, cinnamon and non-food items: dogs, polyester, carpet, petroleum (Vaseline includes most lotions, and ointments), mold, disposable diapers, and red and blue dye (which is in almost all kids antibiotics).

These are only the items we know about. We have not tried any fish which why would we with this many allergies. Still my child breaks out in massive hives every day. A small patch on the bottom of his lip is always red, angry and inflamed. His arms are speckled with hives. His back has massive patches that look like road rash.

The skin doctor called it eczema. Only everything you use to treat eczema makes it progressively worse including steroid creams. We've moved beyond skin doctors. However to most doctors it has turned into a guessing game as to what he can eat. Can he really be allergic to so many things?

This week we have omitted apples from our diet. I know another item on our long list of food we cannot eat. I have tried different types of apples from Gala, Fuji, Honey Crisp, etc. This week apples are on our do not eat list.

I already know that conventional items do not work due to the chemicals infused in the food, but also they coat the food with either soy wax or bees wax, either way it’s toxic to my child. This week I had bought Organic Honey Crisp apples from Whole Foods originally from Washington. I prefer fruits from Washington because it is one of three states that banned the use of the pesticides commonly used on strawberries. [President Bush (2002) pushed to legalize a specific pesticide used on strawberries pushing it high up on the dirty dozen list].

Organic apples are something we thought he could eat, but his belly is still enlarged with fluid from something he is eating so apples are on our do not eat list this week.

Omitted: Organic Apples and Organic Apple Sauce
This week we are replacing apples with pears to see if this has an effect on his outbreaks.


Lunch this week includes: goat yogurt (Wholefoods brand ONLY because he is allergic to a bacteria in other brands) pear sauce, and goat cheese with gluten free bread.

We were eating a lot of organic apple sauce, but this week we are omitting apples so I had to come up with something for him to eat.

For the complete recipe I used see my Homemade Pear Sauce Recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment